My long time (nearly 10 years now) amazing client, Chalene Johnson is the Guinness World Record holder for appearing in the most fitness videos! Hmm…that could very well make me a front runner for the makeup artist who has worked on the most fitness videos! I know a thing or two when it comes to long wearing, waterproof, sweatproof makeup! I really have no idea how many i’ve actually worked on but i’ve worked on the shoots for ChaLean Extreme, Turbo Fire (that was the sweatiest one of the bunch), Insanity instructor DVD’s (that was crazy sweaty too), PiYo (there’s literally a workout called “Drenched”), Turbo Kick, Hustle and i’m sure others that i’m forgetting. I’ve also worked in the editorial and TV world and have worked on shoots where we literally drenched the models with buckets of water/glycerine mixes, Pam cooking spray (for the glossy effect) and in a pool underwater for America’s Next Top Model. So yeah, I’ve had to become an expert at finding the right beauty products that will not make my life on set a nightmare. Plus I’m a bit of a workout freak myself and have done some crazy sweaty workouts as well.
I have a ton of different products but these are my “tried, tested and true” faithful few that have permanent residence in my pro kit plus one brand new addition (as of February 21, 2015) that has impressed the heck out of me and the best in it’s category.
- It Cosmetics, Celebration Foundation – Full coverage powder foundation that is very long lasting. I love that it’s super fast and easy to apply and you can build the coverage from medium to full depending on how much you want or need.
- It Cosmetics, Bye Bye Eye Under Eye – Technically this is a cream concealer that is completely waterproof, full coverage but can be sheered out if you like. I also use this a lot as foundation on extra sweaty shoots or even to contour and highlight with! It’s quite the multi-tasking product!
- It Cosmetics, Live, Love, Laugh Vitality Face Disc – Wow, that’s quite a mouthful but this is the product that i’ve been using the longest in my kit as far as waterproof products go. It’s still my very fav and nothing else compares to it! This ginormous sized disc has a beautiful matte bronzer, shimmery highlighter and slightly glowy natural blush color in the most flattering pinky-peach shade that is flattering on nearly every skin tone. Plus like every product from It Cosmetics, it’s designed to be flattering on every age unlike many other brands that only work if you’re under 22! The ingredients include anti-aging ingredients including hydrolyzed collage peptides, Vitamins A, C, E, Grape Seed, Green Tea and Aloe. Although this is a pressed powder it doesn’t make the skin look drier or older like other powders can because it doesn’t contain moisture sucking talc like all the products in their line.
- It Cosmetics, Build A Brow – So this is my newest waterproof fav find! It’s a gel/pomade hybrid waterproof stain for your brows. Don’t be scared by the stain part because it cleanses off and just helps with the longevity of the product through sweat and heat. What I love is that this product is very easy to use. You just sketch it on with an angled brow brush in one step and you get a beautifully groomed and shaped brow. I love the Universal Taupe shade which works for nearly all hair colors and for darker color hair you simply apply the products in a few layers!
- Urban Decay, 24/7 Eye Liner – This is a super silky, creamy eye liner that doesn’t tug or pull on your delicate skin around the eyes. While it’s supposed to be waterproof, I don’t find it to be 100% waterproof unless you use a waterproof primer underneath. That’s where the next product comes in!
- Mally Beauty, Evercolor Shadow Stick – This cream shadow in a stick is the holy grail of industrial strength waterproof eye products. Although it can be used alone as a simple swipe of gorgeous color for your eye lid or even a wider liner to create an easy smokey eye, I almost always use it as a primer with powder eye shadow on top. Mixing & trying to blend more than one cream texture eye shadow in general is a recipe for a muddy mess in your eyes so I recommend using it as a primer and then using as many powder shadows that your heart desires. This primer is like super glue for all your eye products from your shadows to your liner. It’s amazing even for the most oiliest eye lids. If this product doesn’t work, I honestly don’t know what will! There’s over 25 colors to choose from but my two favs are Saddle Shimmer which is a bronzey gold and Dusk which is the most beautiful plummy deep taupe but regardless of what shade you use, you really can use any color powder shadow on top.
- Dior, DiorShow BlackOut Waterproof Mascara – The lineup of DiorShow mascaras have been amongst my favs for over 15 years and the original DiorShow Waterproof has been my Holy Grail of mascaras that volumizes like no other product and makes the most out of all 9 of my sad, puny, stick straight lashes. If you are not a fan of waterproof formulas because you’ve found they make your lashes dry and you get flaking under your eyes, this one is the best of the best! Plus the tube doesn’t dry out fast like other waterproof mascaras. It not only helps to keep the curl in hard to hold straight lashes with it’s waterproof formula but it has never bothered my eyes or any of my clients and comes off with a waterproof makeup remover (I use Neutrogena wipes in the blue packaging and labeled for use with waterproof products).
**My biggest tip for keeping even your waterproof, sweatproof makeup products in place is to get into the habit of blotting off your sweat with a towel vs. wiping which will take your makeup off along with your sweat. Waterproof means that it has been tested to show that water will bead off the skin without taking the makeup off with it but nothing is wipe off proof! I mean, even waterproof has to come off somehow too, right? So blot, blot, blot, no wiping!
If you found this blog helpful you should check out my full length, step-by-step makeup tutorial videos where I walk you through many of my most requested makeup techniques! They are totally free but available exclusively to my VIP’s. If you’d like to sign up it’s super simple. All you have to do is go to CoachGlitter.com and enter your first name and email that you actually use and check. I will send you my series of makeup videos along with all the new ones that I continue to create. I promise never to flood your InBox and I only send out the occasional email if it’s something really cool that I want to share with you!
Muah! xoxo! Tiffany, aka Coach Glitter